The first pupils were enrolled at Serviceton South on 2 September, 1963, when 253 children from Serviceton transferred to the new school. The school was the fifth State School to be opened in the Richlands/Inala area. It was preceded by Richlands in 1934, Inala in 1955, Serviceton in 1959, Inala West in 1960, and followed by Richlands East in 1967.
The school was officially opened on 11 September, 1963. Enrolments rose rapidly, from 253 on opening day to approximately 1 000 in the early 1970s. From that time numbers fell slowly in line with community changes until 1986 when a little over 300 children were on roll. There was a rise in enrolments in 1988, to 350 children on roll. This number has been sustained with some fluctuation annually and enrolments generally have been around 340-360 students each year.
In 2009 the school underwent massive redevelopment with the State Schools of Tomorrow school renewal program. Classrooms were redesigned to more open space and to accommodate information and communication technologies. The school boundary was marked with a new security fence, and the Administration block doubled in size to accommodate adjusted management expectations. This was followed around 2011 by the addition of the school hall as part of the Building the Education Revolution program.
The preschool opened in 1974, and two units from this period continue to deliver preparatory programs with the Prep program introduced to replace preschool in 2007.
In 2011, the school was accepted as a National Partnership School and received additional funding to improve teaching and learning programs and student outcomes. This funding was used to target national priorities, and especially reading, maths and school community engagement by students in support of learning. With this additional funding, the school is working to improve student outcomes through community liaison and enhancing teaching and learning programs.